We got talking to Billy Wong, Head Chef at Royal China Club and Gavin Man, Sous Chef at Royal China Club
1. CAN YOU TELL US WHAT YOUR DAY IS LIKE?
Billy is trying to be healthier and more eco-friendly so now cycles the 30 minute journey to work! We start work at 11am each day and begin preparing dishes for the day and do not finish until around 11.30pm. Everything is prepared fresh daily on site so we get in early to begin the preparation. We work differently to the Dim Sum chefs as they start around 7am (to create the dim sum for the 12pm open) and finish around 5pm.
2. ANY ADVICE FOR NEW CHEFS TO ACCOMPLISH A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN THE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY?
You have got to enjoy your work and not just be there for the money. Be passionate and enjoy what you do. We love inventing new dishes and finding out new foods to try and work with.
3. ANY NEW EXCITING THINGS HAPPENING AT ROYAL CHINA CLUB IN THE NEAR FUTURE?
We have just returned from Holland following the The World Championship of Chinese Cuisine 2016 where we represented the UK and won 2 gold medals and 4 silver medals, which was really exciting. Now we are looking to expand and refurbish the restaurant in 2017. We will also begin a big project to start working with students and training them from the very beginning in the Royal China Club kitchen.
4. BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN?
‘You’ve got to work quick, but also take your time!’ Chefs work in a fast paced environment so need to work as quickly as possible but at the same time take care and time with the dishes.
5. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE PLACES IN LONDON TO HANG OUT?
This is a hard question for us because as chefs our social lives have gone out of the window! When we aren’t working we like to spend our spare time with our family.
6. WHAT ARE YOUR TOP THREE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GUESTS WHO ARE LOOKING FOR A GOOD TIME?
– As well as going to fine dining restaurants, everyone needs to try some good street food during their time in London.
– As huge football fans we definitely recommend seeing a football match!
– Dine at a burger joint in London, there are so many great ones to visit.