We caught up with Rich Woods, Head of Spirit and Cocktail Development at Duck and Waffle, to find out what exciting plans he has for 2017 and the best piece advice he has been given.
1. WHAT ARE THE KEY THINGS TO BE A SUCCESSFUL COCKTAIL MAKING CONNOISSEUR?
An understanding of flavour and also balance. Always create trends, don’t follow.
2. WHAT IS IT THAT GOT YOU INTO CREATING COCKTAILS?
It was the hospitality side of the business that enticed me before creativity. Positively influencing someone’s experience. Creativity followed as my favourite seat in any bar has always been at the bar.
3. BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN?
Never put off until tomorrow what you know you should be doing today
4. ANY EXCITING PLANS FOR 2017 THAT YOU CAN SHARE WITH US?
I have my first book – due out late this year. Very exciting. a couple of new openings.
5. WHO WOULD YOUR TOP FOUR GUESTS BE ON A TABLE FOR FOUR AT DUCK AND WAFFLE?
My mum, my dad, my sister and my daughter
6. WHAT WOULD YOUR IDEAL SUNDAY BE LIKE IN LONDON?
Brunch with friends. Sunday lunch movie and a few early evening drinks
Rich has created a fantastic “Urban Decay” cocktail menu currently on at Duck & Waffle using ingredients that are either considered waste or that society tell us are past their prime. For more information visit duckandwaffle.com