This week we caught up with Stephanie Burrows, founder of New fitness concept studio POPFIT
1. POPFIT IS A PRETTY UNIQUE CONCEPT. CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO OUR READERS WHAT ELEMENT OF FITNESS A CLASS MIGHT ENTAIL?
Our Signature class is a combination of cardio, strength and stretch. It’s a full body conditioning workout using body weight exercises. We use traditional fitness exercises (squats, planks etc) and mix it up with pilates, yoga and some dance-cardio body pops! Our Core class is more focussed on strength, toning and stretch work. We have a Power HIIT class that is your classic HIIT exercises set to some awesome loud beats, PlyoJam which is a super fun and sweaty dance-cardio class from LA and super popular with celebrities over there and finally we have Stretch which is a mindful flow and a perfect way to wind down.
2. IT’S A BIG STEP TO HARNESS YOUR LOVE OF FITNESS AND OPEN YOUR OWN STUDIO. WHAT WAS YOUR INSPIRATION TO TAKE THE BIG PLUNGE?
Having a baby! It took me out of my job and made me question what I really wanted to do. I’m also really lucky to have a supportive family and friends around me who gave me the confidence to go for it and turn what I love and what makes me feel happy and centred (working out and moving) into a studio for others to enjoy too.
3. WE POPPED (EXCUSE THE PUN) DOWN TO YOUR RECENT MADONNA INSPIRED DANCE CLASS WHICH WAS EXTREMELY HARD WORK BUT A LOT OF FUN. ARE THERE ANY CLASSES WHICH STICK OUT AS YOUR FAVOURITE?
The Signature method, which is what we used to form the Madonna class, is absolutely my favourite. It’s our everything class (fat burning, toning and strengthening) and it’s always inspired by the music which is what makes it so fun! Our Madonna class was my favourite so far actually, as it’s just so easy to work to her music but I’m currently working on an Ibiza classics class (POPequinox) which is pretty wicked also.
4. YOU’RE STRATEGICALLY PLACED BY LONDON FIELDS IN HACKNEY. ARE THERE PLANS TO EXPAND ELSEWHERE IN LONDON, OR EVEN FURTHER AFIELD?
Right now my focus is on London Fields and building a community here, I think that’s important and this is very much a passion project for me. But in the future yes the plan is to take POPfit further afield and spread the love.
5. WHAT DO YOU HAVE COMING UP?
So much great stuff! We have the final instalment of our POPfit and Fabletics Alternative Friday Night Summer Series – POPequinox. It’s total Ibiza classics with Edith Bowman DJing the workout for the launch night this Friday and amazing Fabletics outfits and great goodies to give away. We also have a panel talk and mindful workout coming up on 4th October with Mel C, Matt Haig and Andy Burrows all about fitness and mental health in the lead up to World Mental Health Day.
6. BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN?
Don’t ask permission, do it and apologise later! I won’t be telling my kids that but sometimes you wait for permission or approval and you just need to go for it.
7. WHAT WOULD YOUR PERFECT LAZY SUNDAY IN LONDON LOOK LIKE?
I’m a home girl and I love east London. I love lazing around watching movies with my husband and kids. Making pancakes for my kids or a big family lunch. A walk down Broadway Market or taking our dog to Victoria Park.